Dalmatiner Hund frisst frisches Obst von einem gedeckten Tisch

Your dog should definitely avoid these 10 foods!

What foods are toxic or bad for dogs? In this article we want to clarify this important question for you.

Who can resist those big brown eyes and cute doggie grin? Can a small treat from the table or a reach into mom or dad's belongings really harm your dog? Well, that depends on what it is and what's in it. If it contains the sweetener xylitol, it can cause real problems for your dog. In fact, there are many foods that your dog should never eat. And not just because of the weight. Some foods are downright dangerous for dogs - and some of these common foods in the list below might surprise you.


Candy, chewing gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol. It can lower your dog's blood sugar levels and also cause liver failure. Early symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and problems with coordination. Eventually, your dog may have seizures. Liver failure can occur within a few days.

Persimmons, peaches and plums

The problem with these fruits is the seeds or pits. Persimmon seeds can cause problems in the dog's small intestine. They can also clog the intestines. This can also happen when a dog eats the pit of a peach or plum. Peach and plum stones also contain cyanide, which is toxic to humans and dogs. People know not to eat them. Dogs don't know that.


Is a treat from the table okay for your dog? That depends on what it is. Avocados, for example, contain something called persin. It's fine for people who aren't allergic to it. But too much of it can trigger vomiting or diarrhea in dogs. If you're growing avocados at home, be sure to keep your dog away from the plants. Persin is found in the leaves, seeds, bark and fruit. Also, the avocado pit can get stuck in the intestines or stomach, leading to a fatal obstruction.


Alcohol has the same effects on a dog's liver and brain as it does on humans. But it takes a lot less to harm your dog. Even a little beer, liquor, wine or alcoholic food can be bad. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coordination problems, breathing problems, coma, and even death. And the smaller your dog is, the worse it can be.

Onions and garlic

Keep onions and garlic - powdered, raw, cooked or dried - away from your dog. They can kill the dog's red blood cells and cause anemia. This even applies to the onion powder in some baby food. A single consumption of a large amount can cause poisoning. Watch for signs such as weakness, vomiting, and difficulty breathing.

Coffee, tea and other caffeine

Give your dog toys when you want them to be frisky. Caffeine can be deadly. Pay attention to coffee and tea, including the beans and coffee grounds. Keep your dog away from cocoa, chocolate, cola, and energy drinks. Caffeine is also found in some cold medicines and pain relievers. Think your dog swallowed caffeine? Get your dog to the vet ASAP!

Milk and other dairy products

On a hot day it can be tempting to share ice cream with your dog. Give him some cold water instead. Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive problems in your dog. They can also trigger food allergies, which can lead to itching.


Most people know that chocolate is bad for dogs. The problem in chocolate is theobromine. It is found in all types of chocolate, even white chocolate. The most dangerous varieties are dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. Chocolate can cause dogs to vomit and have diarrhea—in the worst cases, heart problems, tremors, seizures, and death.

Remnants of fat and bones

Fat residue from meat, both cooked and uncooked, can cause pancreatitis in dogs. And while it seems natural to give a dog a bone, it can choke on it. Bones can also splinter, blocking your dog's digestive system or causing cuts.

Raw eggs

Some people feed their dogs raw, i. H. with uncooked eggs. However, the major veterinary associations do not think this is a good idea. There is a risk of food poisoning from bacteria such as salmonella or E. coli. Talk to your vet if you have any questions.


It's not a good idea to share salty foods like chips or pretzels with your dog. Eating too much salt can make your dog very thirsty. This means many trips to the fire hydrant and can lead to sodium ion poisoning. Symptoms of too much salt include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, high fever, and seizures. It can even lead to death.

Yeast dough

Before it is baked, the bread dough has to rise. And that's exactly what it would do in your dog's stomach if he ate it. Because it swells up inside, the dough can stretch your dog's stomach and cause severe pain. Also, as the yeast ferments the dough to make it rise, alcohol is produced, which can lead to alcohol poisoning.

Your medicine

Dogs should not take human medicine. This can make her very ill. Just like with your children, keep all medications out of your dog's reach. Also, never give your dog over-the-counter medications unless your vet advises you to do so. Ingredients such as paracetamol or ibuprofen are often found in painkillers and cold medicines. And they can be fatal to your dog.

Sugary foods and drinks

Too much sugar can do the same thing to dogs as it does to humans. It can make your dog overweight and cause dental problems. It can even lead to diabetes.

Raw meat and fish

Like raw eggs, raw meat and fish can contain bacteria that cause food poisoning. Some fish, such as salmon, trout, allis shad, or sturgeon, may also contain a parasite that causes fish disease or salmon poisoning. It's treatable, but get help right away. The first signs are vomiting, fever and large lymph nodes. Fully cook the fish to kill the parasite.

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.